This summer, City of Houston departments are opening their doors to provide opportunities for you to earn while you learn about what it takes to serve the residents of the nation’s 4th largest city. Most positions are for 32 hours per week, at $7.25 per hour.
The application process will be open from February 15 to March 18, 2016.
To be eligible to participate in the program, you must be between the ages of 16 and 21 by June 13th, and live in a City of Houston council district. To find your City Council district, access the following link where you will enter your address, select Map Layers, and select City Council District: http://mycity.houstontx.gov/addressinfo.
Opportunities will be available in a variety of City departments, and include:
- Health and Human Services
- Houston Police Department
- Library Operations and Support
- Pool Gate Attendant
- Park Maintenance Aides (must be 18, requires knowledge of basic lawn care tools and equipment; pays $10/hr)
Parks Community Center Recreation Assistant (for high school seniors or college students with 3 months recreation experience)
- Customer Service
- Office Clerical
- Houston Fire Department
- Neighborhood Beautification (Light landscaping, garden maintenance, community clean-up)
- City Council/Government
- Human Resources
- Municipal Courts Operations
- Solid Waste Management
- Computers/MS Office Software
The City of Houston is a great and interesting place to work. Completing your application is an important first step. It is important to know that more youth will apply for the Summer Jobs Program than there are openings, so we cannot guarantee that you will receive an interview.
All applications must be submitted online. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Make sure you take the time to answer all questions.
Before you begin the online application, make sure you have:
- The approximate dates of any previous employment.
- Your correct social security number.
- An email address. If you do not have an email address, please set one up and return to the application.
- Phone numbers and/or email addresses for 2 references (preferably not family or friends).
- Your response to each of the following questions should be at least 50 words. We reccommend that you write your responses before starting the application.
- Why should you be selected for this work experience opportunity?
- What is the greatest challenge faced by youth your age in your community, and how can you help things get better?
- What are your career goals?
Ready To Apply?
If you have completed the above steps you are ready to apply.
If you are not eligible to participate in the City of Houston’s Summer Jobs program, check out other summer employment opportunities at: www.serhouston.org/summer.
Need access to a computer? Visit your area library for access to the SJP application between February 15 and March 18.
Email us at SummerJobsProgram@houstontx.gov or call (713)773-6004 or (832) 393-6148.