Celebrate National Night Out in East End Houston
We invite you to participate in the 34th annual National Night Out (NNO) sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW) on Tuesday, October 3, 2017.
National Night Out is a unique crime/drug prevention event designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police/ community partnerships;
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
Neighborhoods throughout the community are encouraged to lock your doors, turn on their porch lights, gather with their neighbors to show unity against criminal activity and join city and county officials and public safety personnel. Many neighborhoods will be hosting a variety of special events such as block parties, carnivals, cookouts, and many other activities.
The purpose of National Night Out is to build strong partnerships between the police and communities and to promote crime awareness programs such Neighborhood Community Watch groups. According to NATW, last year’s event was the largest ever, involving 38 million people in 16,000 communities from all 50 states, US territories and military bases worldwide.
These basic actions can be used by you and your neighbors in order to help deter criminal activity in your area:
- Residents are encouraged to be alert and report things that may attract a criminal element, such as non-functioning street lights and overgrown vacant lots.
- Becoming familiar with your neighbors is an important aspect to having a safe neighborhood. By knowing your neighbors and frequently interacting with them they are more likely to be aware of and pay attention to suspicious activities at or near your home.
- Residents are encouraged to be careful and not take the law in their own hands. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or suspicious, report it to the proper authorities and let them handle it.
Celebrate National Night Out in the East End with your neighbors or at one of the following events:
Magnolia Park Civic Club
7520 Avenue H (Dezavala Park)
Las Villas Magnolia Apartments
150 S. 72nd St.
Country Club Civic Club
Bookside & Villa De Matel
Sunnyland Civic Club
JP Henderson Elementary
Idylwood Civic Club
8813 John St.
Oaklawn Fullerton Civic Association
214 Adams St.
204 Clifton Street
RESCHEDULED: Eastwood Civic Association
4500 Park Drive Esplanade
Tuesday, October 10 6:30-9:30PM